Saturday, 15 February 2014

Generic Conventions


Generic conventions

What are generic conventions?

Generic Conventions are the features shown by texts that allow them to be put into a specific genre.  For example: Almost all Westerns use the Iconography of cowboy hats, six shooters, horses and spurs to place them in their genre.



Here is an example which shows a cowboy with a hat and a revolver in a town. if you looked at this image straight away you would know that it is a western film.



When making my film, I need to ensure that I know which generic conventions are involved in the genre I am doing so I can make sure to have them in my piece.

 

Horror:

  • Set in isolated locations
  • Lighting is low key
  • ‘jerk’ who dies first in the film due to self-absorption
  • Blonde- dim witted
  • Usually common fears so the audience feel involved and scares them more
  • Fast cuts- viewer can’t see every shot which makes it apprehensive
  • Diegetic sounds such as footsteps, screams and echoes
  • Lots of high and low angles used to show characters dominance
 
This is a trailer for the film Insidious. It contains lots of generic conventions for a horror film and this is used to put the audience on edge and scare them.
 
 
 
 

Comedy:

  • Acting – usually characters are happy or exaggerate a certain type of role (e.g. an angry character overreacting more than usual)
  • Lighting – Usually all scenes are bright and light is on the actors as they are normally the ones you need to see for the comedy
  • Plot – usually a basic plot, designed primarily to make the audience laugh, normally with an underlying message such as friendship
  • Sound – Most of the time the music would be light-hearted in sound
  • Editing – Fast cuts for joke after joke based comedy and slower cuts between scenes for a build up to a punch line.
 

This is the trailer for the Hangover. It is a comedy and you can see from this clip and the Insidious clip the difference between a comedy and a horror.  
 
 
 
 

Crime drama:

  • Guns- connotes danger to the audience
  • Drugs
  • Set in urban locations
  • Blood
  • Slow cuts- allows audience to understand the plot more
  • Murder- shows the audience that no one is safe and it could happen to them so it makes them more on edge

Action/adventure:

  • Protagonist against antagonist
  • Usually heroes in Hollywood films are patriotic Americans.
  • Antagonists tend to be drug lords or involved in criminal activity
  • Uses a lot of special effects and stunt work
  • Chase scenes to excite the audience
  • Usually a female character who the protagonist will have to save
  • Protagonist  always win

I have embedded this particular video into my work (Fast 5) because my group are doing an action opening so this means I would have to look into what generic conventions a typical action movie would have. I think this video is good because it shows a fight scene between a police specialist and someone involved in criminal activity and they are big built guys which are stereotypical.

Even though this clip isn’t the opening of the film, I think it is still useful to me because it is important I know the ins and outs of my particular genre.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment